Since 1989, YCI has provided more than 3,000 youth with the opportunity to develop substantive leadership skills and effect positive change in their global and local communities.
To celebrate our 20th anniversary, YCI will award 20 volunteers with scholarships of $1500 CDN ($1300 US) to participate in one of our international volunteer programs in Guyana, Ghana or Costa Rica.
Each of the 20 scholarships will be awarded to individuals with a demonstrated commitment to their communities. The scholarships are intended to provide young leaders with the opportunity to turn positive civic involvement into global action.
How to Apply:
1. Eligibility criteria:
• Applicants must be between 18 and 30 years of age.
• Applicants must be applying for one of YCI’s five-week programs in Costa Rica or Guyana (departing January, 2010), or YCI’s four-week program in Ghana (departing February, 2010).
• Scholarships must be used towards one of the above projects.
2. Scholarship entries must be submitted alongside an online application:
• Submit an online application at http://www.yci.org
• Please indicate on your application (in the “program preference” area) that you’re interested in applying for the “20 Year Scholarship Program.”
3. Once you have received confirmation of your interview time with YCI, please submit your essay, photo essay or video entry via email. Tell us:
How would a volunteer opportunity with YCI contribute to your understanding of what it means to be a global citizen?
In order to apply, submit one of the following on the above topic to YCI:
• Personal Essays: Must be between 600 and 800 words in length and submitted in .doc format.
• Photo Essays: Must be less than 20 photos and include captions. This may be submitted through a PowerPoint presentation or PDF format.
• Video Entries: Must be no more than three minutes in length. To submit your video, please upload your submission onto YouTube and provide the link to YCI. Videos may also be submitted through email or mail. Use only original or royalty-free music and images in your video.
4. Applications and entries will be reviewed on a first-come, first-serve rolling basis. The final deadline for all submissions is Tuesday, December 1, 2009.