Here we go again!
In less than a month, I will be participating in the Live Below the Line challenge with YCI for the second year. Contrary to what some people may think, I’ve been looking forward to living on $1.75/day for 5 days. Why you may ask?
Here are my top 7 reasons to join the challenge!
- Raise awareness about global poverty. There are 1.2 billion people who have no choice but to live below the line every day – for everything – food, medical care, transport, education, everything. Each year 3.1 million children die before their fifth birthday because of poor nutrition. That is reason enough.
- Support a great cause. At Youth Challenge International, we work hard every day to improve the lives of those affected by poverty. Our programs address global youth employment challenges by providing livelihood and employability training to youth and supporting small business development – the most sustainable way to end poverty.
- Get creative with your cooking. Enjoy making new meals from your Live Below the Line food! For five days you will need to find resourceful ways of using the limited food items that you have. Get inspired and have fun with it!
- Explore low-cost food options in your neighbourhood. Kensington market in Chinatown and Bulk Barn were my main stops for my shopping in Toronto. You will be surprised with what you can get for $8.75. One onion, a carrot, two bananas, one sweet potato, a can of tomatoes, rice, pasta, lentils, five bags of tea, lemonade juice powder, pretzels, and more!
- Save money. An added bonus to the challenge, especially for those students, recent graduates, and cost-conscious individuals. Coffee, dinners, drinks, and more can really add up quickly! Take your hard earned cash and save it up for something you deserve.
- Do it with a team. The Live Below the Line challenge is a great team-building activity. Join a team or create your own with friends, family, your sports team, or colleagues. Host a potluck and share your meals as a team.
- It’s fun! This challenge is a great way for all of us to become a part of the movement to end extreme poverty through an experiential fundraising and awareness initiative. Create a team, get creative, and explore your city all while taking action in the fight against poverty.
– Amanda Armstrong, YCI Volunteer Program Coordinator
Join YCI to Live Below the Line, sign up here